The Joomla! Project has revealed the availability of Joomla 3.0.0. With this major release, the company announced the end of support for Joomla 1.5, which is currently maintained only for security issues.
Joomla 3.0.0 comes with a number of interesting new features, including the incorporation of Twitter Bootstrap into a jui media package, a new front-end template, simplified installation process, new admin statistics module, and the PHP Memcached driver.
Download Joomla 3.0.0 Full Package
Customers will be able to run Joomla using the PostgreSQL database, save blank articles, and install language packs from the extension manager.
As far as the code is concerned, Joomla 3.0.0 comes with a feature which ensures that older unused code, files, and database fields and tables are constantly cleaned up.
Joomla 2.5 customers can update to Joomla 3, but they’re advised to be aware of the fact that they will have to update their sites every six months until the 3.5 becomes available.
Furthermore, they’re urged to consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions before deciding which version to utilize.
New features of Joomla 3:
- Incorporation of Twitter Bootstrap into a jui media package.
- A new responsive, mobile device friendly administrator template–Isis– and interface.
- A new front end template–Protostar– built using Twitter Bootstrap.
- Updated accessible template called Beez3.
- A simplified 3-step installation process.
- PostgreSQL Driver. You will be able to run Joomla 3.0 sites using the PostgreSQL database.
- PHP Memcached Driver
- Use of JFeed for feed management rather than SimplePie
- Installation of language packages directly from the extension manager
- Guest user group present by default
- Saving blank articles allowed
- New administrator statistics module
- Update TinyMCE to version 3.5.6
- Continued clean up of older unused code, files and database fields and tables and improved standardization of tables.
- Improvements to Smart Search
- Extensive work on code style standardisation and consistency
- Unit testing in the CMS
- Updated system tests in the CMS
- Custom active menu item for menu module
- Let the SEF plug-in add the canonical url to the head
- Version 12.2 of the Joomla Platform
This release also includes the current version (12.2) of the Joomla! Platform, which includes a large number of new and improved packages.