The national frenzy over the historic half-billion dollar Mega Millions lottery forced the jackpot to soar even higher — to $540 million — as millions of people around the country lined up to buy their tickets.
The cash option has also jumped to $389 million thanks to brisk ticket sales.
The drawing for the largest jackpot in U.S. lottery history will be held 11 p.m. Friday at WSB-TV in Atlanta.
The odds of one ticket matching five numbers and the Mega Ball and winning the $540 million prize are 1 in 175,711,536.
- The lottery is the biggest in US history
- Second-largest, $365M, was won by a group in Nebraska in 2007
- Drawing takes place Friday at 11pm EST
- Obama WON’T buy a ticket, says White House spokesman
- Beware ‘What would you do if you won the lottery?’ job interview question
The numbers were: 9, 19, 34, 44 and 51. The Mega Ball selected was 24, and the “Megaplier” was 3 for lottery players who plucked down an extra dollar for a shot at bigger prizes.