China’s Yu Wenxia was crowned the Miss World 2012 at a gala ceremony on Saturday.
Ivian Sarcos of Venezuela crowned her successor Yu Wenxia of China PR at the end of the event. Wales’ Sophie Moulds was adjudged the first runner-up, while Australia’s Jessica Kahawaty was the second runner-up.
“When I was young I felt very lucky because so many people helped me and I hope in the future, I can help more children to feel lucky,” Yu said after her win was announced.
Yu, a music student who says she aspires to be a teacher, brought the win home to China, which hosted the event at Dongsheng Stadium in the northeastern city of Ordos.
Winners of Miss World 2012 in different categories:
- Miss World 2012 winner is Yu Wenxia (China)
- Miss world 2012 1st Runner-up is Sophie Moulds (Wales)
- Miss world 2012 2nd Runner-up is Jessica Kahawaty (Australia)
- Winner of Miss World 2012 Beauty with a Purpose – Vanya Mishra (India)
- Winner of Miss World 2012 Talent – Yu Wenxia (China)
- Winner of Miss World 2012 Sports & Fitness – Sanna Jinnedal (Sweden)
- Winner of Miss World 2012 Multimedia – Vanya Mishra (India)
- Winner of Miss World 2012 Beach Fashion – Sophie Moulds (Wales)
- Winner of Miss World 2012 Top Model – Atong Demach (South Sudan)
Miss World 2012, the 62nd edition of the Miss World pageant was held on August 18, 2012 in Dongsheng Fitness Center Stadium, Ordos, Inner Mongolia, China. 116 contestants from all over the world competed for the crown, marking the biggest turnout in the pageant’s history.
This year the event was watched by over a billion people from across the world and, as part of the tradition, the Miss World Flag was passed on to the next host – the exotic Indonesian city of Bali.