Google is celebrating at Maria Montessori 142nd birthday by special Google doodle on home page today.
Dr. Maria Montessori Google Doodle is very colorful and looks like prepared as reflecting her background work. She is the founder of special education system- Montessori Education system. Maria Montessori was an Italian physician and educator, a noted humanitarian and devout Catholic best known for the philosophy of education which bears her name.
Born on August 31, 1870, Maria Montessori was the first Italian woman to get a degree in medicine. She graduated from the University of Rome in 1896.
In 1907 she opened her first preschool for children and its success led to the opening of other Montessori schools. Montessori education focuses learning on independence, relative freedom and respect for a child’s natural mental development.
On May 6, 1952, Montessori died of a cerebral haemorrhage in the Netherlands. She was 81.
Video: Biography of Maria Montessori
Maria Montessori Quotes
- The greatest sign of success for a teacher… is to be able to say, “The children are now working as if I did not exist.”
- “Children are human beings to whom respect is due, superior to us by reason of their innocence and of the greater possibilities of their future.”
- “It is the child who makes the man, and no man exists who was not made by the child he once was.”
- “It is true that we cannot make a genius. We can only give to teach child the chance to fulfil his potential possibilities.”
- “The environment itself will teach the child, if every error he makes is manifest to him, without the intervention of a parent of teacher, who should remain a quiet observer of all that happens.”
- “The prize and punishments are incentives toward unnatural or forced effort, and, therefore we certainly cannot speak of the natural development of the child in connection with them.”