One of the search engine’s biggest strengths is its simplicity — type anything into the search box and you’re off. But people could get a lot more out of Google, the company says, if they learned a few expert techniques, like searching by color, time or image.
So Google is offering a free online course to teach search skills. Google first offered the class in July, when 155,000 people signed up and improved their search skills 40 percent on average, according to assessments before and after the course.
Now’s your chance to sign up again for free online course that aims to empower users with the tools and knowledge to find what they’re looking for more quickly and easily.
Registration for the next course began Tuesday morning and the first class is Sept. 24. There are three classes a week for two weeks, each a 50-minute video plus quizzes. Students can watch the videos anytime, but if they watch them at class time, they can participate in forums with other students and teaching assistants.
Power Searching with Google Schedule
- Class 1: Monday, September 24
- Class 2: Wednesday, September 26
- Hangout 1 with search experts: Thursday, September 27, 10:00-10:45am PT
- Class 3 and mid-class assessment available: Friday, September 28
- Class 4: Monday October 1
- Hangout 2 with search experts: Tuesday, October 2, 4:00-4:45pm PT
- Class 5: Wednesday, October 3
- Hangout 3 with search experts: Thursday, October 4, 10:00-10:45am PT
- Class 6 & post-class assessment available: Friday, October 5
- Mid-class assessment due: Wednesday, October 10, 11:59pm PT
- Post-class assessment due : Wednesday, October 10, 11:59pm PT
Stay tuned for further announcements on those upcoming courses, and don’t forget to register now for Power Searching with Google.