Today I was surprised to see this message when I tried to surf google.com
Full warning message:
… but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can’t process your request right now.
See Google Help for more information.
Unusual traffic from your computer network
Read this first
- When Google detects that a computer on your network may be sending automated traffic to Google we may show the following message: “Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network.” Automated queries are against our Terms of Service.
- The error page most likely displays a CAPTCHA (a squiggly word with a box below it). To continue using Google, type the squiggly word into the box — it’s how we know you’re a human, not a robot.
If you don’t see a CAPTCHA image or if you continue to encounter the CAPTCHA over and over, try these steps in order:
- Check for malware on your computer.Malicious software, sometimes bundled with other free downloads without your knowledge, can trigger Google to show this message. Visit our security information site for some well-known programs that can detect and remove such applications.
If the suggested programs don’t resolve the problem, you might want to try an advanced troubleshooting program such as HijackThis.
Advanced troubleshooting: HijackThis
HijackThis lets you view programs installed on your computer and easily remove malicious ones.
We’re not affiliated with HijackThis and cannot vouch for it ourselves; however, many of our users have found it helpful. If you’d like to try HijackThis, please visit http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html for instructions on installing and using this program.
After scanning your computer using HijackThis, analyze the generated log to determine which programs to remove.Deleting legitimate lines in your HijackThis log can have adverse effects on your computer, so please exercise caution.
After using HijackThis, we suggest that you update and run the three applications listed below again. Although you’ve already run these programs, doing so after using HijackThis often exposes additional files.
- Lavasoft Ad-Aware
- Spybot Search and Destroy
- MacScan (for Mac users)
- Contact your network administrator.If you tried the steps above and haven’t resolved the issue, it’s very likely that a user or a computer in your network is sending automated traffic to Google. Your network administrator may be able to locate and shut down the source of the automated traffic; feel free to refer them to this page. Sending automated queries of any sort to Google is against our Terms of Service. This includes, among other things, the following activities:
- Using any software that sends queries to Google to determine how a website or webpage ranks on Google for various queries
- ‘Meta-searching’ Google
- Performing ‘offline’ searches on Google
Once the automated traffic has stopped, the ban on your IP address should be automatically lifted.
- If the problem persists, your network administrator should contact us.If your network continues to experience this message in error, please send us additional information.